How do you know if a PTO clutch is bad?
Simple test would be to remove the mower deck belt from the PTO pulley and try to engage the PTO. If it doesn’t stall, the clutch is not your problem. If it does stall I would guess you’ve had a bearing fail in the clutch. The other thing to check is the seat switch if it’s still enabled.
What does a bad PTO clutch look like?
“Normally” when a clutch is going bad it will start to show when you engage the PTO. A common symptom would be for the clutch to be slow to engage if it’s been running for a while and is hot. Once engaged they usually stay engaged until you shut them off.
Will a bad PTO clutch drain your battery?
The PTO clutch needs full voltage to remain engaged… If the charging circuit is not keeping the battery Above 12 volts with the engine running, the PTO clutch will drain the battery down to the point it will disengage, at that point there will not be enough left in the battery to start the engine.
How does PTO clutch work?
PTO clutches work in conjunction with the PTO drive shaft and must be compatible with the transmission of the lawnmower. An electric lawnmower clutch gets energy from the mower’s engine and transfers it to the mower blade. This type of clutch prevents the mower from moving after the driver disengages the mower clutch.
Do lawnmowers have clutches?
A lawn mower clutch is a safety device that stops the blades from spinning while the lawn mower’s engine is still running. Both electric and gas lawn mowers have clutches as a safety feature. Both the shaft connected to the engine and the shaft connected to the blades have a plate attached.
How do you change a SCAG PTO clutch?
- Step One: Disconnect the Spark Plugs.
- Step Two: Lower the Cutting Deck.
- Step Three: Remove the Pulley Cover.
- Step Four: Remove the Blade Belt.
- Step Five: Disconnect the Electrical Components From the Clutch.
- Step Six: Remove the Flywheel Cover and Mounting Bolt.
- Step Seven: Remove the Clutch.
How do you adjust a SCAG clutch?
How to Adjust the Clutch on a Scag Zero-Turn Mower
- Locate the three gap adjustment nuts on the edge of the brake cover.
- Look on the sides of the clutch underneath each nut to see an adjustment window where you can view the air gap between rotor and the armature.